By Craig L. Symonds
From thunderous broadsides traded among wood crusing ships on Lake Erie, to the service battles of global conflict II, to the devastating high-tech motion within the Persian Gulf, here's a gripping historical past of 5 key battles that outlined the evolution of naval warfare--and the process the yankee kingdom.
Acclaimed army historian Craig Symonds bargains spellbinding narratives of an important engagements, displaying how each one conflict finds the transformation of expertise and weaponry from one conflict to the subsequent; how those in flip remodeled naval wrestle; and the way each one occasion marked a milestone in American background.
- Oliver risk Perry's heroic victory at Lake Erie, one of many final nice battles of the Age of Sail, which secured the Northwestern frontier for the United States
- The brutal Civil battle duel among the ironclads Monitor and Virginia, which sounded the dying knell for wooden-hulled warships and doomed the Confederacy's desire of besting the Union navy
- Commodore Dewey's gorgeous triumph at Manila Bay in 1898, the place the U.S. displayed its "new military" of steel-hulled ships firing explosive shells and wrested an empire from a fading ecu strength
- The hairsbreadth American victory at halfway, the place airplane providers introduced planes opposed to enemies 2 hundred miles away--and the place the tide of worldwide battle II became within the area of some livid minutes
- Operation Praying Mantis within the Persian Gulf, the place pcs, ship-fired missiles, and "smart bombs" not just replaced the character of conflict at sea, but in addition marked a brand new period, and a brand new accountability, for the United States.
Symonds documents those encounters intimately so vibrant that readers can pay attention the wind within the rigging and consider the pounding of the weapons. but he locations each conflict in a large point of view, revealing their importance to America's improvement because it grew from a brand new Republic at the fringe of a threatening frontier to an international superpower.
Decision at Sea is a robust and illuminating examine pivotal moments within the background of the army and of the us. it's also a compelling research of the unchanging calls for of management at sea, the place commanders needs to make fast judgements within the warmth of conflict with lives--and the destiny of nations--hanging within the balance.